The AALT Technician is the official journal of the Alberta Association of Library Technicians.

Sunday, 27 November 2016

Faces of AALT #4: AALT Conference Co-Chair Marcia Holmes

Hello AALT!

Today we are pleased to announce the fourth post in a new series here on the AALT Technician, Faces of AALT! Faces of AALT is a great way to learn about different kinds of library technician work and about your co-members across the province. We are starting by featuring our 2016-17 board members, but soon we will be turning it over to regular members. If you would like to be featured please email journal@aalt.org for more information.
I look forward to seeing all of you on Faces of AALT soon!
Amy Southgate AALT Communications Services Director 2016-17




Faces of AALT: Marcia Holmes, AALT Conference Co-Chair



AALT Technician: What is your professional background?
Marcia Holmes: I graduated from MacEwan in 1991 with my LIT diploma.

AT: Where do you work and what are your responsibilities?
MH: I have worked at the Portage College Library for almost 25 years. I started as a cataloguing technician in 1992, became the coordinator of the Technical Services Unit about 10 years later, and am now Supervisor, Library Services. My duties include: Coordination and management of library services, staff, resources and budget for both branches; system administrator of the library management system; collection development and cataloguing/metadata functions.

AT: What made you want to work in the library and information field?
MH: I’ve always loved books and reading, and from an early age I spent a lot of time in my local public library. When I was deciding on becoming a library technician, I went to MacEwan and talked to Tony Fell, who was the program head at the time. His passion and enthusiasm was contagious and I was even more convinced that this was the right program for me. It’s almost 26 years later, and I believe becoming a library technician was one of the best decisions I have ever made!

AT:What is the most awesome part of your job?
MH: I feel very fortunate, as my job is both interesting and challenging. I feel like I learn something new everyday. The fact that I still get to do some cataloguing (which were my favourite courses in library school) makes me happy!

AT: What advice would you give to someone looking to becoming a library technician?
MH: If you are still undecided, spend some time meeting with the program staff, talking to other library technicians and students, to see if it’s right for you.

AT: What are the last books you read?
MH: Right now, I’m reading the Outlander series. I am currently reading Voyager and I just finished reading Dragonfly in Amber.

AT: But libraries aren’t just books! What is your current favourite movie/show/music?
I love time travel stories. Currently, my favourite time travel tv show is 12 monkeys

AT: What do you like to do outside of work?
MH: I love to read, watch TV, and do jigsaw puzzles.

AT: What is your favourite place to travel/a memorable trip?
MH: My most memorable trip was the two barefoot cruises I did a few years ago. These were on large sailboats and I got to go to places that you can only get to by boat and can’t accommodate the big cruise ships, so I got to see some amazing places. One of them was Norman Island in the British Virgin Islands. This island is believed to have inspired Robert Louis Stevenson to write Treasure Island, and there is documented history that pirate treasure was buried somewhere on the island!

Thank you, Marcia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments to the AALT Technician are moderated. Comments may be removed or a commenter blocked at the sole discretion of the Journal Editor, or their designate.